DIY - Nugget Ice
Is it possible to make nugget ice yourself without buying an expensive machine?
well… kind of…
Although it’s impossible to get the same soft and chewy structure as you’d get with a nugget ice maker, it is possible to create small pebble-style ice at home.
However, the process does take some time, and you’d have to buy the right tools and follow the right steps.
Which steps you might ask? Let’s find out!
Table of Contents
If you don’t feel like reading the whole thing, you can just watch this awesome video created by the guys over at Barfly freepour:
What Tools Do I Need to Create pebble Ice at Home?
There are 2 different ways to create sonic ice at home. You can either use an ice tray or an ice crusher:
- MINI ICE CUBE TRAYS – Each ice tray makes 160 small 3/8″ (1cm) cubes. Great for crushed ice, coffee, smoothies, frappucinos, hard candy and chocolate bites. Small enough for water bottles, safe and non-chokable for kids
- QUICK FREEZING AND FAST CHILLING – Make small ice cubes that will chill your drink super quick so you can enjoy that nice cold first sip much sooner. This little crushed ice cube tray also freezes cubes much faster. No more waiting!
- FOOD GRADE SILICONE – These ice molds are made with high grade BPA free silicone. Flexible like rubber.
- OVEN SAFE – Great for baking hard candy, pet treats or baby food!
- REMOVAL TIP – Turn upside down and bend it back and roll out the cubes. See videos for example. Soft or filtered water recommended.
- The Ice Crusher is the perfect tool to add to any kitchen or wet bar
- Strong suction base keeps Ice Crusher securely in place during use
- Stainless steel blades can crush ice coarse or fine
- Holds approximately 5-1/2 cups of crushed ice. Measures 9.5″ x 4.5″ x 6″
Making Pellet Ice At Home - Simple Steps
Both methods are super simple!
If you’re using the ice tray to make pebble ice, simply fill the trays with water and put them in the freezer. Keep in mind, it will take approximately 3 hours before the water will actually freeze and turn into pebble ice, so it requires some planning ahead!
If you’re using the ice crusher, you can use regular ice trays to make ice or buy ice at your local supermarket. Simply open the top lid and fill the hopper with any type of ice cubes and start cracking the handle, while holding the lid closed on top of the Ice Crusher. Turn counterclockwise for coarse ice or clockwise for finely crushed ice.
it’s as simple as that!
As you can see, making pellet ice at home is pretty doable. However, repeating this process over and over every time you’re craving the good ice, can become pretty tedious.
So if you’re looking for a nugget ice maker to speed up the process, take a look at our nugget ice maker top picks and reviews!